Saturday, April 25, 2009

i want to share poems with you.

this is from my hearty day at VNA (poetic!), and we wrote poems. 

it is i
the immigrant
knowing that my ancestors were once prohibited from entering the shores along the amber waves of grain
and here i stand, pledging allegiance to the very country that banished my race
the tainted blood we carry, flowing through our very veins
i am asian. they do not believe i am like everyone else. 
before i die, i pass on the memories of this to my children
and hope that the judgements we all once carried are gone
before i die, i wish that the internment camps of my cousins no longer exist
and look toward the future without such discrimination
against me, the model minority
before i die, i awaken to dream of the days where we can truly be called americans
and walk alongside all people without the meaning of race.


this is an edited version:
before i die, i will pledge allegiance as an american
young, full of hope
what does the future have in store for me?
i love my country
so i pledge allegiance
i will hold my head up high, up to the great blue skies
i will place my right hand over my heart
and feel thebeating that soothes my soul
i wish to roam the lands, free to see and take in everything
i wish to be someone who is looked upon as 
brave, courageous, intelligent
i want to be heard
and i want to be seen
so here i stand, pledging allegiance to the very country that once banished my race
the tainted blood we carry, flowing through our veins
and so i pledge
i pledge to fear no more
to look up in the sun and not see a despondent end
but instead see a glowing future
before i die, i awaken to dream of the days where we are truly americans
and walk alongside all people without the meaning of race.

No comments:

Post a Comment